Hi friends 👋
Today, to practice the French language, to help you improve your level of French 🇫🇷 and to discover a little more about our culture, I want to share with you the recipe of a specialty made with almonds and honey: the galette des rois.
Known throughout France, the galette des rois is the dessert of January. It celebrates the arrival of the Magi with the baby Jesus. But before that, it had its origins in the Saturnalia (Roman festivals) during which the Romans designated a slave as “the king of the day”.
In the cake, there is a bean. It is a small dry bean or a ceramic figurine. The person who finds the bean in his/her slice of cake is the king or queen! He/she then wears the paper crown. 🤴👸
Every year, at the Elysee Palace, the President organizes a big party during which the guests taste the famous cake… In honor of the President of the Republic the cake is huge ! 1.20 m of diameter ! Attention, as France is a Republic, the President’s cake does not contain a bean … it would be strange to designate a king with the President 🤪
I love to eat it a few minutes after taking it out of the oven, when it is still warm 🥧. In France, you can buy the galettes des rois very easily in bakeries or supermarkets. The best is still to prepare it yourself. By the way, I’ll give you the recipe so you can treat yourself today 😉!
- 140 g almond powder
- 100 g fine sugar or honey
- 75 g of soft butter
- 2 puff pastries
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 bean
To mix : to associate, to combine.
Place : to put.
To cover : to put on top.
To brush : to spread.
- Place a puff pastry in a pie pan, prick the pastry with a fork.
- In a bowl, mix the almond powder, sugar, 2 eggs and soft butter.
- Place the dough obtained in the pie pan and hide the bean in it.
- Cover with the second puff pastry, sticking the edges well.
- Make designs on the lid and brush with egg yolk.
- Put in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes at 200°C (thermostat 6-7); check regularly the cooking!
- taste !
- Placer une pâte feuilletée dans un moule à tarte, piquer la pâte avec une fourchette.
- Dans un saladier, mélanger la poudre d’amandes, le sucre, les 2 œufs et le beurre mou.
- Placer la pâte obtenue dans le moule à tarte et y cacher la fève.
- Recouvrir avec la 2ème pâte feuilletée, en collant bien les bords.
- Faire des dessins sur le couvercle et badigeonner avec le jaune d’oeuf.
- Mettre au four pendant 20 à 30 min à 200°C (thermostat 6-7); vérifier régulièrement la cuisson !
- dégustez !
Yum 😋😋😋 Bon appetit!
For a fun immersion in French language and culture, follow us here 👉 @slimmersion 👈